the in-betweens

Untitled
North Beach, The Hague, March 2014

A rich, smooth cup of coffee at 6.30pm, my first proper cup of the day. Reading a long story on the NYT on my phone, trading witticisms (I think of them as witticisms) with my friends (sisters, really) back home, Googling cheese shops with potential, scribbling down their addresses. "Sweater Weather" playing in the background. The best kind of multi-tasking.

Waking up at 4am, unable to sleep. Curling up with a good novel, until a sliver of cold morning light seeped around the curtains. Sliding back under the covers and sleeping for a good hour.

That hour when the sun is low in the sky and the world diffuses into whirls of colour - at the beach it was  shades of pale blues, melting into a delicate pink, lit by creamy yellows and a pale orange. Sky, sand, water straight out of a Monet painting. A girl cycling past in a wetsuit carrying a surf board. The waiter teaching me how to say "Noorderstrand".

Walking towards what I hope is a tram stop, refusing to check a map because the day is too beautiful to stare at my phone worrying about directions. Tall, narrow facades of brick, glass, iron frames. Glimpses of high ceilings, crammed bookshelves, potted plants perched on windowsills. A duck landing in the canal. Policemen in their neon yellow parkas, stern yet smiling. I'm hungry and hoping to find a sandwich shop to grab lunch.

An 8am run outside because I didn't want to pay 12.50 euros to use the gym. Curse myself because I feel like my head might freeze to death, caught in a vise of cold. Feeling better when I hit a forested park - later I found out it is called the Haagse Bos. Bare trees, the sky turning bluer by the minute, dazzling, occasional spears of sunlight, the smell of damp wood and dirt.

Winding a long grey scarf around my neck. Slipping an oversized navy wool cardigan over my grey sweater. Pulling on my trench, a tug on the collar to snap everything into place. Savouring the layers I never get to pile on back home.

Goodbye, Den Haag, it was fun.

Comments

Lindsay K said…
Gorgeous picture and beautiful words.

It sounds like you had a chance to truly take pleasure in the moment. I love beaches during the off season- the light, the quiet, being able to layer up and the lack of crowds. Hope you have a chance to check out a few of The Hague's museums- they have quite a few good ones!

PS- And yes to witticisms! My brothers and I all share a very similar sense of humor and always send each other those quips.

miss sophie said…
simply beautiful in every way. looking forward to more glimpses into your travels :)

meanwhile, we're bracing for some more snow in NY aghhhhh...
You are a very gifted writer - I love this post. It reminds me to slow down and enjoy my own neighborhood.
Anonymous said…
Almost like a poem. Or a movie scene. Thanks for sharing, for the beautiful photo and words. - I Ying
Kali said…
That's a very beautiful way to describe the little joys of life. Your words are immersive too, I imagined the morning sun, the chill of the wind while running... Keep enjoying your travels, and thanks for sharing these moments!
Ammu said…
Gorgeous photo and a beautifully-written post. Love the way holidays jolt us into enjoying the present moment - all that unfamiliarity is a great lesson in relaxing and letting things take their time.
Aïssa said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aïssa said…
What a beautiful post again! I'm in complete admiration of your ability to catch these tiny moments and emotions of your life and sharing them with your readers in such an articulate and easy way.
abiye çanta said…
Wow, very nice post. thank you. i like your blog

abiye çanta
Eileen said…
That photo is so inviting! I enjoyed this post very much. Beautiful writing!
Joy said…
Just freaking glorious. Gahhhh.
A said…
Such a beautiful posting, I want to print this!! And it makes me want to travel, again! The Hague, btw is so cute, I hope to be back at some point, soon, two of my friends are working (one living) there....
Anonymous said…
Hope you got back safely and your jet lag is over :)just wanted to say thank you for sharing the Siri Hustvedt novel a few weeks ago, just started it and it is magical. Going to savour this one!

Kasia

Popular Posts